After much contemplation, my husband and I have decided to homeschool our 10 year old son Jeremy for the rest of 4th grade. We feel like we have a "window of opportunity" here. We don't want to homeschool him in 5th grade and find out that we don't like it and put him back in January. That would be a hard transition. This way, if we don't enjoy it, we can put him back at the beginning of next year and the other kids will hardly know he was gone. I will be doing the majority of the instruction during the day. Some things will be done with my husband. There are certain things I'm not sure I will be able to explain involving math and science.
Jeremy and I will be doing lots of repetition with math including money, measurement and fractions. We will do lots of reading and work on comprehension. We will also be focusing on the world around us as well as do some hands-on experiments. I'm also going to take on the challenge of doing art projects with him. This is not my forte, but I'm up for the challenge. Jeremy will be getting lots of socialization through CYT and church. He has his CYT class on Monday nights (this session is focusing on dance/movement) and then he has GODSPELL rehearsals. He also has Awana on Wednesday evenings. We will be meeting new friends at Discovery club at the library and also thru my friend Kelly's coop when we attend their field trips. We won't be joining a weekly co-op since they have already started their classes.
I'm looking forward to seeing how Jeremy responds to our daily instruction. I have aspirations but I'm being realistic. I'm fully aware that this may not go well. However, my goals are that his reading and math fluency greatly increase and that he develops some study habits. We will also focus on idioms, vocabulary, writng and grammar.
Today is President's Day and I have a cold. I'm very glad the cold came on today and not tomorrow. Gave me a day to get used to it. The kids had callbacks/rehearsal this morning for Godspell and I have Bible study tonight while they have their CYT classes. We were going to see a movie this afternoon but the theater was packed. We will start our new adventure tomorrow. Praying God will be glorified in all that we do.
No comments:
Post a Comment