Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Our First Day - 2/22/11

I'm very impressed with ourselves for completing our first day of homeschooling together.  Especially since our car is in the shop and I had to take my husband to work after taking Abby to school and come home and get started.  Plus, I have a nasty cold so the fact that we got anything done is all glory to God. 
Today we just got used to each other and our new task.  We started with a devotional about responsibility and worked on his Awana sections.  Then, Jeremy did some addition and subtraction.  We did addition flash cards, measured several household items, and he showed me how many way he could make 50 cents out of a pile of coins.  All seems easy for a 4th grader but like I said, we're getting used to each other.  He needs the review anyway.  He did do one quick multiplication sheet after lunch and then he wrote and typed a letter to the Bakugan company.  His intent is for them to send him some free Bakugans.  He was inspired by "Stink and the Super Galactic JawBreaker" by Megan McDonald where the main character is mad his jaw breaker doesn't actually break his jaw. He writes the company and they end of sending him 100's of jawbreakers.  I think Jeremy believes the Bakugan company will also send him some Bakugans to play with.  We'll see.  He then did some worksheets on homonyms.  After an explanation he still didn't quite remember what those were so I looked up on Youtube the Veggie Tales song on Homophones.  Somehow that seemed to help.  We finished up with double-sided worksheet on Christopher Columbus where we discovered 4 good vocabulary/spelling words.  He also looked up an idiom to use for the week - "run off at the mouth."  (I was kind of offended by that. We'll see how he uses it in a sentence tomorrow.) Kids with Asperger's have a hard time with figures of speech so he's going to work on those too.  The book I have has over 700 expressions and sayings in it.  Isn't that ridiculous?  No wonder our language is so difficult. 
His final task was to journal about the day.  He wrote, "Today was my first day of homeschooling.  I felt happy.  In Social Studies we studied about Christopher Columbus.  I am going to like homeschooling." 
Good enough for now!  I'm very happy with how today went.  I'm not so naive as to think everyday will go this well but I'm really proud of both of us.  Not sure I will be able to do my blog everyday but hopefully I'll be back tomorrow!
He's running on the treadmill right now and I think my ceiling is going to cave in. 
Until tomorrow....Mark 12:30 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment